Wednesday, December 20, 2006

'Twas Four Days Before Christmas...

The view outside my living room window...



Oh how I love it when it snows like this in Denver! I honestly cannot remember the last time we had fresh snow just in time for Christmas; I can't remember the last time snow felt this pure and magical, or the last time a steaming cup of tea was so deeply satisfying! Here's the progression of the Blizzard of 2006 (presumptuous, maybe, but I'm 99% sure that's what they're going to call this storm) so far:

Around 1:30 in the afternoon, it was really coming down, but the snow wasn't really that deep around here-- about above the ankles and higher in some places. It was the wind, really, that made it almost unbearable to keep my eyes open while I was outside.
I love the gum-drop appearance of the chairs:


Around 4 in the evening, the drifts were really started to rise against my windows. Looking outside made me feel a little bit like Half Pint in Little House in the Big Woods. Whatever was going on outside, I felt safe and warm inside my tiny apartment.
Scene from my side-yard.

Around 6:30 in the evening-- I went across the street to find out why Papa's Grocery was still open! (Cuz they're making a killing, lol! A lot of folks feel the need to stock up before hunkering down in their homes to wait out the storm...) The atmosphere in the store was very cheery -- very damp, humid, messy, and full of laughter and silly snow puns and jokes. Sean and Stephanie, the owners, are just so full of fun and cheer despite the long drive home on treacherous roads that they'll have to face when they finally close up for the night.

A couple of grown people were goofing around in the snow, their giggles both amplified and slightly muffled by the huge mounds of new snow in the eerily empty streets. There is no traffic down 12th Avenue, and I can almost see all the way down to Colorado Blvd to the east and Cheesman Park to the west. I walked as carefully as I could down my metal stairs so I could take pictures. I took several shots before I finally realized that there was enough light reflecting off the snow to turn the flash off. In doing so, I captured this image of my stairs:

Once I was across the street, I decided to take a picture of the house that I live in (well, technically I live in the upstairs portion). See the colored Christmas lights in the twin windows? That's my place! It looks cold, but it's very toasty inside. I hope we get another day off tomorrow-- it'd be the perfect opportunity to sew, take photos, and set up a new doll display or two...


Happy Snow Day!

~Tinooseus

No comments: